The COVID-19 situation hasn’t ended yet and we need to continue taking care of our health until it all ends. As you know, covering your face reduces the risk of infection and, right now, it’s mandatory all around the globe.
By now you should know that a cloth face covering needs to cover both your nose and mouth and you should be able to freely breathe. Take into account that you can use anything you have nearby such as a scarf, old t-shirt or bandana. You just cover most of your face and tie it behind your head. Of course covering your face is not the only thing you need to consider when taking care.
This article will be devoted to some basic tips to protect yourself as well as a simple guide on how to make a homemade cloth face cover.
How Make your Own Cloth Mask
We will devote this section of the article to offering you two different ways of making a face covering. You will see that as for the fabric, you can buy a special type or else you’ll be able to use an old t-shirt or piece of cloth to make it. As regards the elastic or rubber band, we’ll provide you a link to a store that ships worldwide.
What you will need:
- 2 pieces of professional mask fabric (gauze bandage is a good option). They should be 25 by 15 cm.
- 2 pieces of 10-15 cm of elastic, string or rubber band.
- A sewing machine or needle and thread.
- Stack both pieces of fabric together.
- Fold the longer sides (25 cm) around half a centimeter down and sew them.
- Now fold the short side (15 cm) around 1 cm over and sew the edge. Make sure you leave a tiny space open for the rubber band to loop in.
- Put the rubber band through that open space you left in the previous step and sew the ends.
- Tuck the knots. Take the short sides together and make sure to stitch the rubber band into place.
If you feel this face covering is too difficult for you to make, here’s an easier and simple option:
What you will need:
- 2 pieces of cloth or an old t-shirt you no longer use. Ideally 25 by 15 cm. (Life hack: if it’s a long sleeved shirt, you can directly cut from the sleeve and you’ll automatically have a double layer piece)
- 2 pieces of 10-15 cm of elastic, string or rubber band
- Cut the bottom of your t-shit or your piece of cloth to get 2 rectangles of 25 x 15 cm. Cotton fabric is always more comfortable to wear. Stack both rectangles so that you will have a double-layer mask, which is always safer.
- Cut your 2 rubber band pieces and get ready to sew them. You should attach one rubber tip to each corner, always through the shorter sides of the rectangle. If you can’t sew them, you can also use a stapler instead. Make sure it’s strong.
- Try it on and make sure it not too loose because in that way it’ll fall. If it’s too loose, however, it’ll make you hurt and therefore you’ll end up taking it out. If the rubber band length is not appropriate, remove it and adapt the length.
Always bear in mind this is a DIY guide for adult face masks and that these should not be used by children under 2 years old because they will face difficulties managing it. Also, those with respiratory conditions should consult their doctors. When wearing your mask, always make sure you can breather freely and comfortably.
Basic Tips to Protect Yourself and Your Loved Ones from The COVID-19
- Wash your hands as many times as possible during, at least, 20 seconds and if possible, with warm or hot water. Any soap will do it.
- If washing your hands is not possible, apply sanitizer to your hands frequently.
- Always avoid touching your face; specially your mouth, nose and eyes.
- When going out, try to use your less skillful hand to do stuff such as opening doors, pressing buttons, etc. This will reduce the risk as we always tend to touch our face with the skillful hand.
- After and before touching your cloth mask, make sure you wash or sanitize your hands.
- When you finish using it, wash it with hot water. If not possible to wash it right away, put it inside a plastic bag until you wash it. Make sure you wash it regularly.
- Do not touch the cloth face covering, specially not the parts that have been in contact with your face.
You can also check out other articles if you are interested by clicking here:
Subscribe Here and get our Posts Delivered Directly to Your Inbox!