When it comes to Marilyn Monroe, your first impression is probably sexy and attractive. However, there are always some people have different opinions. Nowadays, many people think Marilyn Monroe’s body was not perfect, because she didn’t have slender arms and flat stomach.
The British actress Elizabeth Hurley once told Allure Magazine that “I’ve always thought Marilyn Monroe looked fabulous, but I’d kill myself if I was that fat. I went to see her clothes in the exhibition, and I wanted to take a tape measure and measure what her hips were. (laughter) She was very big.”
That’s comes to the question— is Marilyn Monroe really fat? According to the record of her dressmaker, Marilyn Monroe was about 5 feet, 5½ inches, 120 pounds and her BWH was 36-24-34. These information means Marilyn Monroe did have an extreme hourglass shape and actually she was not fat at all.
Nowadays, people are all so accustomed to seeing women on magazines who are unhealthy-skinny, and that’s become normalized. Moreover, we are seeing so much on social media that makes us feel like we are less than, or we’re not what we should be. Everyone is a body critic. Women are held to such a ridiculous standard of body.
All of these remind us of Taylor Swift’s story of her documentary film Miss Americana (2020). She said, “If you’re thin enough, then you don’t have that ass that everybody wants.” She thought that she was supposed to feel like she was going to pass out at the end of a show, or in the middle of it 10 years ago.
“But if you have enough weight on you to have an ass, your stomach isn’t flat enough. It’s all just fxxking impossible.” And when her stomach is not flat, the magazines would say that she was pregnant. And we saw lots of critical comments (body shaming) on social media.
Except those standards of women’s body, there are also many strict standards of women’s faces which are accurate to the millimeter.
However, you can decide whose opinions matter more and whose opinions you put more weight on, that is really part of growing up, if you’re going to do it right. That is part of hoping to find some sort of maturity and balance in your life.
We’ve rounded up 10 body positivity quotes to help you embrace your body, inspire self-love and confidence.
- “You have been criticizing yourself for years and it hasn’t worked. Try approving of yourself and see what happens.” — Louise Hay
- “To be beautiful means to be yourself. You don’t need to be accepted by others. You need to accept yourself.” — Thich Nhat Hanh
- “Since I don’t look like every other girl, it takes a while to be okay with that. To be different. But different is good.” — Serena Williams
- “If we make self-love or body acceptance conditional, the truth is, we will never be happy with ourselves. The reality is that our bodies are constantly changing, and they will never remain exactly the same. If we base our self-worth on something as ever-changing as our bodies, we will forever be on the emotional roller coaster of body obsession and shame.” — Chrissy King
- “And I said to my body softly, ‘I want to be your friend.’ It took a long breath and replied, ‘I have been waiting my whole life for this.” — Nayyirah Waheed
- “I don’t want to wait until I’m 73 to embrace my body. To look back and think of my beauty: How did I miss it? Let’s not wait another moment.” ― Ashley Asti
- “Don’t waste so much time thinking about how much you weigh. There is no more mind-numbing, boring, idiotic, self-destructive diversion from the fun of living.” — Meryl Streep
- “Most important, in order to find real happiness, you must learn to love yourself for the totality of who you are and not just what you look like.” — Portia de Rossi
- “You look how you look. Be comfortable. What are you going to do? Be hungry every single day to make other people happy? That’s Just dumb.” — Jennifer Lawrence
- “You have to stand up and say, ‘There’s nothing wrong with me or my shape or who I am, you’re the one with the problem!'” — Jennifer Lopez
So that’s it! Body positivity can truly change one’s life and we hope this article can inspire you to find love and acceptance for your body as well. Tell us your thoughts in the comments below!
You can also check out other articles by clicking here:
Subscribe Here and get our Posts Delivered Directly to Your Inbox!